[mythtv] Pull requests sufficient?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sat May 5 14:57:11 UTC 2012

On 05/05/2012 15:22, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 09:27 AM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
>> On Saturday 05 May 2012 13:13:54 Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> I see. Ok. Thanks for the info. I guess github gets updated every now
>>> and then, and so isn't wildly out of date for casual developers.
>> One of our post-commit hooks syncs our repo with the copy on github.
>
> (meaning the public repo on github is just as up to date as the repo on
> our server).
>
> Also wanted to mention that the "historical" benefit of a ticket on Trac
> (that references your pull request): it's archived in Trac and in our
> mailing list archive. Any github-only communication is "lost" (or at
> least buried in a separate location that makes finding information
> harder than searching one location). This makes it very challenging to
> later figure out what happened.
>
> We're considering making some changes that would make it easier to
> create a ticket in conjunction with the pull requests, but haven't yet
> figured out exactly how we want to handle it.

That's good to hear, but it's plenty easy enough now it is. I asked
not because I wanted to avoid creating a ticket, but I just wanted to
know which of 'both' or 'pull request only' was better for you. I
think it took me 6 hours to understand the piece of code I needed to
change, about half an hour to make the changes, overnight to test.
After that it was only 10 mins to create the pull request (that
long only because it was the first time I'd done it), and then
less than 2 mins to create the ticket.

Cheers,
	Paul.