[mythtv] Support for upcoming VDPAU on AMD and Myth Player

Marius Gröger dargllun at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 8 12:37:33 UTC 2011

2011/6/8 Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com>

> 2011/6/8 Marius Gröger <dargllun at googlemail.com>:
>
> > What I suspect is that the player, while using VDPAU, also tinkers with
> some
> > nvidia specific things. I meant to analyze the sources for more insight
> but
> > haven't got round to it yet. If my suspicion is correct, then the generic
> > VDPAU would be needed to be factored out somehow into s.th. which is
> > generically usable.
>
> VDPAU is an API. Yes - NVidia wrote it but you can't do anything
> nvidia specific. You're either working with the API or you're not.

That was my understanding as well. So I will retry and check the logs again.
I'm away from the box right now, but from what I remember it tried to open
some kind of lib*nvidia*.so, which I obviously don't have.

> > Has anyone perhaps ever tried the VDPAU to XvBA bridge from Splitted
> Desktop
> > with the Catalyst driver? That should show pretty much the same issues,
> and
> > maybe they're solved already?
>
> Do you mean VAAPI to XvBA?

Well, yes and no. I never tried it myself, but AFAIK there are actually two
bridges, VDPAU to VAAPI, and VAAPI to XvBA. Bottom line is there is some
kind of VDPAU support, but since I was never really happy with the Catalyst
driver (bulky, ugly tearing) I have long since exclusively used the open
source driver which gives excellent Xv performance (but unfortunately poor
OpenGL rates - see also http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9216).

Greg