[mythtv] hdaudio branch issue?

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Tue May 18 17:10:12 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and Tom Lichti at 18/05/10 15:54 did gyre and gimble:
> I moved to the hdaudio branch yesterday to see how it's going, and for
> the most part it works well, but I do have an issue, and I'm not sure
> if it's just my configuration, or a problem with the code. If I set
> the Audio output device to ALSA:default, Stereo, no advanced config,
> and Mixer Device to /dev/mixer (or ALSA:default), Mixer Controls: PCM,
> I get :
>
> 2010-05-18 10:41:00.067 ALSA, Error: snd_pcm_info_get_card: Operation
> not permitted
> 2010-05-18 10:41:00.088 ALSA, Error: Mixer attach error. Check Mixer
> Name in Setup: '/dev/mixer'.
>                  Error: No such file or directory
>
> In the log. This is odd, because the device is there:
>
> [root at xxx log]# ls -l /dev/mixer
> crw-rw----+ 1 root mythtv 14, 0 2010-05-07 19:04 /dev/mixer
>
> During playback I have no control over the volume within MythTV.
> Previously with this setup (pre hdaudio) I had full control over the
> volume, so I can only assume that this is an intentional change.

FWIW, /dev/mixer is not an ALSA mixer, but an OSS mixer. So for alsa
code to be using it is a bit strange. You do say above that you tried
ALSA:default too, so it's kinda strange that an error relating to
/dev/mixer would show up under these circumstances.

If a value of ALSA:default for the output itself and /dev/mixer in the
mixer worked before, it would be due to the fact that ALSA provides OSS
emulation on your distro and thus changes to levels via OSS were
reflected also in ALSA. This OSS emulation is gradually being phased out
now. Fedora do not enable OSS emulation by default any longer for example.

With this additional information, perhaps you can do some more testing?

Col

PS, although I very much intend to, I've been totally swamped an have
not yet been able to take this branch for a spin :(

--

Colin Guthrie
myth(at)colin.guthr.ie

Day Job: