[mythtv] hdaudio branch issue?

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:54:37 UTC 2010

I moved to the hdaudio branch yesterday to see how it's going, and for
the most part it works well, but I do have an issue, and I'm not sure
if it's just my configuration, or a problem with the code. If I set
the Audio output device to ALSA:default, Stereo, no advanced config,
and Mixer Device to /dev/mixer (or ALSA:default), Mixer Controls: PCM,
I get :

2010-05-18 10:41:00.067 ALSA, Error: snd_pcm_info_get_card: Operation
not permitted
2010-05-18 10:41:00.088 ALSA, Error: Mixer attach error. Check Mixer
Name in Setup: '/dev/mixer'.
                Error: No such file or directory

In the log. This is odd, because the device is there:

[root at xxx log]# ls -l /dev/mixer
crw-rw----+ 1 root mythtv 14, 0 2010-05-07 19:04 /dev/mixer

During playback I have no control over the volume within MythTV.
Previously with this setup (pre hdaudio) I had full control over the
volume, so I can only assume that this is an intentional change.

If I use 'software' as the mixer, it works like before (with a bit
more gain than before, which is actually good for me, because before
it was a little low).

I'm just wondering if this is the expected behaviour from this branch?
If so, great, if not, what can I provide to help fix it?

Thanks
Tom