[mythtv] All translations in 0.23 (was French translation in 0.23)

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Sat Mar 27 16:14:55 UTC 2010

Hi!

Kenni Lund wrote:
> 2010/3/27 gilles <choteau.gilles at orange.fr>:
>
>>I understand the process but I'm juste surprise to see the release candidate
>>without good language files.
>>Release candidate is for testing, no!!!!
>>why waiting the last time to generate manualy the language files ?  I don't
>>unterstand ?
>
> gilles, you're right that the release candidate is for testing - and
> you can say that you found a "bug" in the release candidate -  the
> translation files were not generated (if it wasn't done on purpose by
> the developers, waiting for inclusion of remaining translation
> tickets). This is now solved with r23820, so everything is fine :)

 From exchanging emails with Gilles (in French) it sounds to me like something was
lost in translation (pun intended (-; ).

(BTW, when I suggested in one of my emails that his posts might have been somewhat
agressive he said that AFAIK they were not/he did not peceived them to be. It is not
easy coveying the right emotions in an email and even more so when your mother tongue
is different that the one in which you write it.)

What Gilles doesn't understand is why some of these processes relative to the
translations are not automatized:

- themestring/themestringtool
- lupdate
- lrelease

and possibly

- build_translations.pl for MythWeb

You have to understand that while Gilles is pretty good with PCs he is not a programmer.

He is now so used to compiling himself however that for him it's alsmost as if he was
running yum, apt-get, etc... to get a new package to install while in reality he/we
is/are actually doing a checkout of development versions of the application from its
repository so we can't expect everything there to be actually like it will be in the
final release/packaged version of the application.

(For me that's more normal since programming is both my hobby and my job but for
Gilles I don't think he fully grabs the distinction.)

I guess that since, like I mentionned in my previous message, I had a hunch that we
would not see the updated translation since I had not seen a commit of the .qm files
I should have warned him (since we are on the same translation team) in advance that
this is what would happen.

As far as automatizing processes is concerned, themestring/themestringtool might be a
good candidate since until it has been run on MythTV's SVN we can submit any
translation that could contain strings which were obtained by running it on the
translator side since they could be be perceived as obsolete by lupdate and removed
by it (if asked to).

As for running lupdate, I don't see much gain from running it automatically if the
translation wiki page is clear on the subject that it must be run before starting to
work on a translation (same thing for build_translations.pl).

As for running lrelease automatically if it was done something would need to be put
in place so that it only does it when a translation is updated (so as not to commit
essentially identical .qm files for nothing) or it could be done at compile time.
Doing it at compile time would probably proved to be a PITA for the MythTV developers
though (unless a way was found (flag?) to know when it should run and when it shouldn't).

He put (as all the translators did I'm sure) a lot of hours in this and he was
somewhat alarmed when he did not see the results of all this work.

I am not asking for these processes to be automatized, I am simply trying to explain
in more depth what Gilles was trying to say. I would be grateful if some of these
processes were automatized (or run more frequently) however.

Regardless of whether these processes are automatized or not I am sure all of us will
continue to maintain our translations since we all believe in MythTV.

> Furthermore, the release candidate is r23779, but the French
> translation was included afterwards in r23784...so even if the
> language files were generated for the release candidate, the
> translated files would still not include your new translations.

Personnally I never disputed that fact and I am just very grateful to Robert McNamara
for commiting it to Trunk and backporting it to 0.23 after.

Have a nice day!

Nick
(from the French *language* translation team)