[mythtv] ATSC question

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 05:05:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Tim <blooflame at comcast.net> wrote:
> So, to make sure content identifiers are passed through correctly for cable
> and broadcast would require an FCC ruling, pretty much?

Well, that's a tricky question.  The FCC already requires broadcasters
to provide accurate PSIP data for a fixed interval from the current
time (I would have to double check, but I want to say it's three
hours).  And the FCC also requires cable providers to pass through any
PSIP data in the original stream for "must-carry" channels that are
essentially the over-the-air equivalents.

However, there are two problems:

The cable company *must* perform some slight recoding of the PSIP info
(in particular such as recomputing the MGT when combining multiple
channels onto a single ClearQAM frequency).  Hence they really cannot
just "pass through" the PSIP info unmodified.

Enforcement is essentially non-existent.  I don't know of any cases
where the FCC has taken an action against a cable provider for
violation of the standard.

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com