[mythtv] Packages from source ? (Was: ANNOUNCEMENT: MythTV is moving to Github)

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 06:05:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> but for a desktop or something like a myth frontend, why bother?
> it's not like different compilation options would make a big
> difference these days

ok this is getting totally off the myth topic and I will try to make
this concise.
I used to (5 years ago) use various non-source based distros.  It
would always go well until there was something I needed that they
didn't have a package for.  I'd go and compile that one thing from
source, only to find that it had a dependency that I had installed
from a package but the packaged version was missing some compilation
option, so then I'd have to move away from the packaged version for
that dependency and before I knew it I'd have a huge mix of things
from packages and things from source which would cause problems.
This isn't to say that gentoo/portage are free from problems, but at
least 95% of things I have installed are from packages, with
dependency trees nicely handled, which is something I never had
before.