[mythtv] Packages from source ? (Was: ANNOUNCEMENT: MythTV is moving to Github)

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 00:06:44 UTC 2010

On 5 December 2010 23:59, Andrew Stadt <acstadt at stadt.ca> wrote:
> As a gentoo user myself, this is why I just compile from source.  AFAIK,
> nothing else in portage depends on mythtv, so it doesn't break anything.  I
> know I *should* follow the gentoo way, but got tired of updating my ebuilds
> just to update myth.

IMHO, compiling from sources for all your installed packages is so
1990s... which in computer term when 1 century-ago.

And when you see that official ebuild are still on 0.23, you don't
even get the advantage of being more easily up to date.

It doesn't bother me to use ports on my freebsd servers, because I
never update those machines and they only act for a very specific
content... And also because upgrading is so damn painful

but for a desktop or something like a myth frontend, why bother?
it's not like different compilation options would make a big
difference these days