[mythtv] Brainstorming a new idea for the program guide

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 21:29:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Jay Merrifield <fracmak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, after reading a bit more, it seems like a good chunk of #2 has
> been implemented already in the new mythui, banner art supplied by Jamu. So
> this change would most likely be a lot simpler. I'd just be changing the
> program guide and the drawer for the channel rows to look for and place the
> banner art on the screen.
>
> Jay

Jay,

Yes, using the artwork is possible in recorded programs, but I want to
reiterate that downloading all the artwork for all programs in the
guide isn't feasible for the reasons I specified earlier -- *if*
Schedules Direct is able to expand their offerings to include this
kind of artwork, then I think it's doable (but should definitely be
optional for the bandwidth-challenged).  Also, for it to be downloaded
and added to the recorded table, it really does need to call a generic
metadata handling class on the backend, rather than us reimplementing
the mythvideo one every place we intend to use it.

I would be very receptive to a generic metadata handling
implementation handled on the backend, if you felt like taking a run
at that.  Otherwise, I intend to during the next development cycle.

Robert