[mythtv] New MythTV interface announced!!

Kevin Fox Kevin.Fox at pnl.gov
Tue Jun 30 18:31:17 UTC 2009

Probably a good existing example of what (i think) he wants to
accomplish is XBMC. In XMBC, a client can export control of itself via a
webserver. This control is not basic like injecting key presses. It
allows you to surf through all the music/videos/pictures acceptable to
the client, while leaving the movie your watching currently undisturbed.
Once you select a new thing to view, and only then, does it switch.

This is very nice feature, allowing to do things like look to see if
there is anything better to watch, or if not, keep watching what you
currently are.

This is different then mythweb. Mythweb is kind of a web based myth
client.

The proposed feature lets you sort through all the files in the myth
backend like mythweb does now, but instead of displaying the selection
in the web browser, it happens on the attached mythclient.

Note, this is one of the reasons upnp splits up video playback into 3
parts instead of 2. Digital Media Renderers, Digital Media Servers, and
the thing that tells the renderer to pull from a server, a Digital Media
Controller. The latter being much more complicated then just a key press
injector.

Kevin