[mythtv] Paid for Plugin dev?

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 20:36:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Daniel Kristjansson
<danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

> Second, even if
> implemented few if any households would use it religiously; people watch
> television communally while there often there are just one or two people
> in the household who setup all the recording rules. Third, there appears
> to be real interest in finally implementing recommendations so we don't
> want to sidetrack that interest with other concerns.
>
> -- Daniel

Valid point Daniel - but for a recommendation system, it would make
sense for it to be "user" aware to some extent.  Even though about 65%
of my scheduled recordings are watched by both me and my wife, the
remaining 35% contains about 20% of stuff just my wife watches and 15%
of stuff only I watch.  I can think of some (really lame IMHO) shows
that my wife really enjoys watching that would most likely skew any
overall recommendations based on what I watch - especially since some
of her shows might be recorded at a much greater frequency (daily vs
weekly).

I was thinking about this a few months ago... in the case of a
recommendation system, you could do a very high-level user list.  For
example, you could simply list the members of your household - for
this example we'll keep it simple: "Joe" and "Jane".  For each
recording schedule, you could check the user who is interested in that
particular recording.  If Joe sets up a recording rule for "Future
Weapons", and he knows his wife has no interest in that show, then
within the recording rule he could check off only his name.  If Jane
is interested in "Oprah", Joe can set that recording rule up for his
wife and check off her name as someone who is interested in this
recording.  If they both enjoy watching "The Office", then Joe can
check off both their names in the recording rule.  This is simply just
a boolean of the known users in the household tied to a recording
rule.  Nothing that special and would not require any concept of
"active" or "logged in user" - just users with access to the system.

With that kind of system you could easily do a multitude of things like:
- filter out recordings based on user interest
- notify a user via (fill-in-the-blank-notification-solution) that one
of their shows has recorded
- setup/kickoff specific user jobs based on a user's recordings
- and, in this particular case return recommendations based on
specific users, and total household.

With anything beyond a name, such as age and sex, you could even give
more specific recommendations such as children's programming, etc and
so on.

Anyway - just some thoughts!

Thanks!
Matt