[mythtv] Paid for Plugin dev?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Apr 19 14:33:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 09:48 -0400, K Stanton wrote:
> I think discussion of this architectural foundation is necessary while
> discussing the scope of the idea.  To clarify my initial post - and to
> be mindful of keeping chatter down in the dev list - the value of this
> feature would be greatly (exponentially?) increased by harvesting
> behavior by _user_ on a given machine.  Using the composite information
> by _machine_ it would look like the same "user" likes "Clifford the Big
> Red Dog", "My Secret Life as an American Teenager", and "Law and
> Order".  Information like that would give bogus recommendations to
> others.  In order for accurate _user_ behavior to be harvested, the User
> feature in mythtv would have to be implemented first.  I'm just trying
> to help avoid missing a big opportunity.

KS, I think most people following this discussion are aware that user
info could make a recommendation system more accurate for any particular
user of MythTV. But there are some reasons that should be considered
separately. First, making MythTV user aware has been considered and
a good deal of coding was even done toward it as a SoC project, but it
is a project of large enough scope that to get it into MythTV a whole
release cycle would have to be structured around it, like the current
release cycle has seen many devs work on the Qt4 port. Second, even if
implemented few if any households would use it religiously; people watch
television communally while there often there are just one or two people
in the household who setup all the recording rules. Third, there appears
to be real interest in finally implementing recommendations so we don't
want to sidetrack that interest with other concerns.

-- Daniel