[mythtv] Distributing an Updated Version of te Python Bindings

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Fri Nov 28 07:20:11 UTC 2008

>> I was planning on using distutils to create a package using the existing
>> Myth framework as found in bindings/python, so my new libs would
>> overwrite any existing ones when the user ran python setup.py install.
>
> Assuming you can't just keep all the changes outside the main bindings
> that seems reasonable (your MythTV.py changes seem to fall in that
> category).

Thanks. Just a few more questions:)

It seems that distutils wants me to provide some information that isn't
in the current setup.py. Here is what I intend to put:

setup(
     name='MythTV',
     version='0.21',
     description='MythTV Python bindings. Modified by Ian Barton',
     maintainer='Ian Barton',
     version='0.21.1',
     packages=['MythTV'],
     )
Hopefully, that's OK. If I can find the original authors of the various
python bindings, I'll credit them in the Readme.

Finally, according to comments in the source Myth is released under the
GPL. I was intending to release my stuff under the GPL, so I presume
that will be in line with the rest of Myth.

Ian.