[mythtv] New Video Decode and Presentation API

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Nov 21 16:06:23 UTC 2008

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> David Engel <david at istwok.net> says:
>> Given your druthers, would you rather have a new E8400/E8500 based
>> frontend for viewing HD-PVR recordings or save some cash and use
>> vdpau in an older frontend with a new video card?  My current
>> frontend can only handle 480p HD-PVR recordings and I was about to
>> build a new one when the vdpau news broke.
>
> I'm in the same boat; my nearly three years-old frontend *can* play
> 6Mbps 720p HD-PVR recordings
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/348381#348381>,
> <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/351830#351830>),
> and surprisingly well, but had planned on eventually building a new
> Core 2 Duo-powered frontend to handle 13.5Mbps HD-PVR recordings
> (including 1080i when support improves). The Nvidia news and Isaac's
> patch give me hope that my frontend may last for another three years.

I guess I could be in the same boat too. I have an aging EPIA m10k and
while it seems to cope surprisingly well it's got no hope of HD
playback. It's got a PCI slot on it and I'm wondering if more
knowledgable folks could say if slapping in an Nvidia card and using
this approach could prolong the life of that f/e? I'm not sure if any
suitible PCI card would even suffice to be honest tho', so it may be new
f/e regardless. If so then so be it!

Col

--

Colin Guthrie