[mythtv] Audio-upmixing questions regarding #5900

foo bar foobum at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 19:12:23 UTC 2008

2008/11/18 Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>:
> Is there a way to choose between Pro Logic and DTS Neo? My receiver's
> do both these (so I wouldn't really use this feature, but) and there
> is a noticable difference, which for some content means one is better
> than the other. So, you know, it would just be nice to be able to
> choose...

I think you've misunderstood slightly. The upmixer will use any DPL /
DTS Neo hints that are encoded into the source material to do routing.
You can't choose unless you encoded the source material. The output is
5 discrete channels (plus LFE) - no matrix encoding is passed to the
receiver.

The algorithm it uses to upmix 2 channel stuff with no matrix encoding
is a little like DPL II but, apparently, better. It does sound that
way to me. Also, we set different parameters in terms of rear speaker
phase, 'dimension' and 'center width' depending on the source (video
playback or music). So you may find, like I have, that it's
easier/better to upmix in myth rather than at your receiver.