[mythtv] Audio-upmixing questions regarding #5900

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 18:10:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:04 PM, foo bar <foobum at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/17 Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com>:
>> So there is an actual sound improvement? How is this done? Does the
>> upmixer actually take the Dolby 2.0 mock-surround sound cues and
>> convert them into the appropriate 5.1 tracks through the respective
>> surround speakers?
>
> Yes, the upmixer (detailed at
> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=52235) will
> use Dolby Pro Logic, DTS Neo:6 and other cues to turn stereo into 6
> channels. Well, 5 channels ( the LFE  channel is just a low-pass
> filtered average of the original channels). It also does a very nice
> job of upmixing plain old stereo (to my ears at least).

Is there a way to choose between Pro Logic and DTS Neo? My receiver's
do both these (so I wouldn't really use this feature, but) and there
is a noticable difference, which for some content means one is better
than the other. So, you know, it would just be nice to be able to
choose...

--
Steve
http://www.jobs-khakis-chicks.com/MythTV/