[mythtv] Question for frontend experts: implementing a CAM menu, where do I need to hook things up?

Janne Grunau janne-mythtv at grunau.be
Mon Nov 5 22:17:34 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 November 2007 22:39:00 Remy Bohmer wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am looking how I can implement a real CAM-menu inside mythtv.

That would be welcome.

> On a no-access error the
> player now starts to behave very annoying and displays a
> no-video-stream error, and even assumes that tuning has succeeded,

I have to look at it but I would have thought that the backend gets only
encrypted packets and tuning would fail.

> and when we go back into the viewer it restarts tuning into this
> wrong 'last known good channel'. This loop is that annoying that my
> wife gets stuck on it, and eventually reboots the system... (with a
> lot of complaining ;-)
>
> So, I want to implement this nicely. I understand the lowlevel-part
> of the code, but I am looking for mechanisms inside myth that I can
> use.
>
> So, My questions are:
> * The CAM-messages are logged by the backend through libmythtv.so. Is
> there a mechanism to pass these messages/questions towards the
> frontend, so that the user can respond to them?

That's only possible through the mythtv network protocol.

> * Is there a mechanism I can use to interrupt this tuning process in
> the frontend to show the CAM-messages and handle user interaction?

The LOCK mechanismen should be enough. I would add a state
CAM_INTERACTION or something similar to the signalmonitor values. I can
try to look at this.

Janne