[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r12390 - in trunk/mythplugins by awithers

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Fri Jan 5 05:11:50 UTC 2007

> Setting one path in the settings table if it's not already
> initialized? And that's just for ripping. You knew as you
> typed this that it was a pretty shaky rationale didn't you? =)

Yes, thus the qualifiers. Those who didn't care about that setting would
also be accustomed to the chaos that unused menu items create.

> Now, after I enable mythvideo (which I've never used in
> several years) and wait twice as long for the plugins to compile,

More than twice, closer to 2.5x (at least for me). For those previously
building both, a few seconds are saved. In standard Myth units for measuring
wastes of time it is only a few centimythcontexts.

> Can you please follow through and rearrange this so that the
> Video and DVD functions are in separate menus and do the same
> for classic theme.

Yes. Given the number of UI changes that I've hated over the years I can
certainly sympathize. My initial hope was to have no menu changes at all,
unfortunately this would have required changes to more that just the plugin.

> experience tells me that some day in the
> foreseeable future someone will have a brain storm 'Dude! We
> could like just play DVDs without having all this video crud!".

Not many people volunteered to pare down MythDVD to that functionality. The
bulk of MythDVD is for importing DVDs, the play command for DVDs/VCDs is
tiny.

If there is more than a vocal minority who only used MythDVD to get a 'Play
DVD' menu item then maybe resurrecting MythDVD to do only that would be
worth it (though hopefully with a name change).

I'm personally more in favor of making menus or groups of menus optional
(and better than <depends>). I've received several requests to do something
with the VCD menus and for the many who never import DVDs, the rip
menu/settings.

--
Anduin Withers