[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r12390 - in trunk/mythplugins by awithers

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Jan 5 01:03:38 UTC 2007

Anduin Withers wrote:
>> Am I alone in not liking this very much? It makes a big assumption that
>> everybody who uses MythDVD also uses MythVideo. On my parents setup they
>> don't have any use for MythVideo but they do use MythDVD to play the
>> occasional DVD. Now they get MythVideo whether they like it or not :-(
>
> MythDVD, to function fully, has always required MythVideo (granted the
> dependency was only for a directory setting, a setting that wasn't always
> used).

Setting one path in the settings table if it's not already
initialized? And that's just for ripping. You knew as you
typed this that it was a pretty shaky rationale didn't you? =)

> I didn't like the idea at first, but the two are related for many users and
> future work will just make them more so.
>
> I imagine the only real objection is to the extra menu entries, these are a
> simple edit away, and if I ever get around to making the VCD play menu item
> optional, that can happen programmatically.

But why should individuals now have to edit them? I use the
DVR menu theme (because I created it for me to use). The change
made to this theme was only to remove the DVD and DVD Settings
items. Now, after I enable mythvideo (which I've never used in
several years) and wait twice as long for the plugins to compile,
I see a "Videos" item with a sub menu of eight items. Only one
of which, "Play DVD", I'm interested in using on an ongoing
basis.

In the Default menu theme, Watch Videos is under Library and
Play DVD is under Optical disks so these functions can live
on different menus.

Can you please follow through and rearrange this so that the
Video and DVD functions are in separate menus and do the same
for classic theme.

> The menu system already contains unused items people learn to ignore. Out of
> the box the main menu has a useless 'Watch TV' as the first item.

Everyone needs to use A/V Test Mode as a prerequisite to recording
television to check if things are functioning, the signal quality,
picture settings, etc. That is why this still exists in the DVR
menu theme although it is buried three layers down. I don't need
mythvideo as a prerequisite to popping in a DVD for playback only.

While I'll trust that you are making better use of functions in
the code and there will be great new features to look forward
to down the road, experience tells me that some day in the
foreseeable future someone will have a brain storm 'Dude! We
could like just play DVDs without having all this video crud!".

--  bjm