[mythtv] Developing database and program synchronization for remote frontend/backend

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 18:15:47 UTC 2007

On 4/14/07, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
> On 14-Apr-07, at 12:38 AM, Rob Smith wrote:
>
> > On 4/13/07, Subbyz <subbyz at kinison.puremagic.com> wrote:
> >> So, my plan is to setup a non-recording backend on the same
> >> machine that is
> >> merely synchronized from my primary backend whenever the internet is
> >> available.  My intent is to use ssh and rsync for copying the
> >> recordings,
> >> and helper code to synchronize the various DB records in the correct
> >> direction.
> >
> > Look into Mysql replication. Mysql can do all the work to keep the
> > DBs in sync.
>
> Probably not such a good idea - there's little point synchronizing
> the channel schedules when the remote system isn't doing any recordings.

Quote from Subbz:

"I plan to support retrieving guide data and recording data from the primary
backend to the slave so the remote slave can schedule programs and add
programming rules, adding support to the db for tracking information so that
I can safely and correctly synchronize recording rule changes in both
directions depending on which is most up to date, and other necessary
tracking info in the DB."

Replication is perfectly valid solution. He might need to putz around
with a newer mysql and use the auto-increment offset magic, but that's
easy enough to do and would alllow both sides do schedule recordings
and have them sync up correctly and the like.

nuvexport + sql files is only one way, not what he asked about.

~Rob