[mythtv] Developing database and program synchronization for remote frontend/backend

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sat Apr 14 16:35:39 UTC 2007

On 14-Apr-07, at 12:38 AM, Rob Smith wrote:

> On 4/13/07, Subbyz <subbyz at kinison.puremagic.com> wrote:
>> So, my plan is to setup a non-recording backend on the same
>> machine that is
>> merely synchronized from my primary backend whenever the internet is
>> available.  My intent is to use ssh and rsync for copying the
>> recordings,
>> and helper code to synchronize the various DB records in the correct
>> direction.
>
> Look into Mysql replication. Mysql can do all the work to keep the
> DBs in sync.

Probably not such a good idea - there's little point synchronizing
the channel schedules when the remote system isn't doing any recordings.

I'd recommend using nuvexport's ".nuv and .sql" option to copy each
recording's video file and related DB records (program details and
seek info) to some folder that you sync from your remote machine.
Importing is as simple as copying the video to your TV recordings
folder and executing the sql that nuvexport supplies. You could kick
this off as part of a user job when the recording is done although
you might want it to wait 5-30 minutes to ensure commflagging is
finished.

I'm not sure if all this can be done out of the box - nuvexport is
interactive and you want something that'll take a filename to export
so you may have to craft your own perl script based on nuvexport but
that's the approach I'd take.

- George