[mythtv] Dropping php4 support from MythWeb

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Oct 11 20:18:22 UTC 2006

Ross Campbell wrote:
> So... from a fedora-centric view, I believe this would mean that FC3
> and backward would no longer work with a mythweb that requires php5
> without either someone building a lot of  new packages or individual
> users recompiling apache/php/etc.
>
> If I have 6 months to a year to plan my system upgrades, then I think
> I'm okay with this.

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything soon.  .21 is a few months out
(assuming that Isaac decides to do that instead of .20.1), and .22
should be another long span as they rework the UI stuff.

FC3 will get EOL'd in a week or so, so I can't feel too bad about it.
There comes a point when if you want to run the latest version of
something like mythtv, you'll just have to upgrade.

>> I realize that this will cause some pain for users who might not want to
>> upgrade, but php5 has been stable for ages now, and it's a lot of work
>> maintaining compatibility with php4 (it requires backporting several
>> libraries I use, etc) since I don't run it anymore.
>
> At some point, there's also the issue of moving to QT4 and dropping
> QT3 support, right?

That's not a decision for me.  I'd also like to see a move to mysql 4.1
or 5, but too many people (including devs) are still running 3.23.

-Chris