[mythtv] Windows port

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 19:53:39 UTC 2006

Chad:

Wow, that is an incredibly generous offer!  Although my gut reaction was
"whee! Free hardware!", I wouldn't feel right accepting it at this point -
let's see where I'm at in a month or so when I'm closer to needing a backend
for testing.  If nothing's diverted me from this project by then, maybe I'll
see if the offer's still good (or possibly go with one of the other
suggested methods).  Thank you, really.

Jay:

Excellent!  Give me a week or so to poke around a little more so I have a
better idea of the toolchain and dependencies, and how I want to proceed,
and then a willing accomplice will be very useful.  How's your knowledge of
asm?  There's some asm code that I think will need to be massaged a little
to be compilable with MSVC.

Petr, Ross, and Robert:

Cygwin it is.  At least for the library and headers.  However I don't think
I'll use the X11, but go the DirectX route instead.  I'd rather take more
direct advantage of the hardware.  As for the compiler, I'm going the MSVC
route.  A gcc port would probably be quicker, but I don't think it would
save much time towards a more native Windows port.  Also, I agree with
Robert that a MSVC port would be more useful to the Windows-only people.
Also also, I'm a Windows developer by day and am very familiar with MSVC and
the Visual Studio debugger (using it since pre-VS 6).  While I'm not a big
MS fan in general, Studio is an excellent tool, and I wouldn't want to debug
any problems I run into without it.

-Jerry