[mythtv] Feasability of using software scalers in mythtv videoout

matt mead m-mythtv at goof.com
Thu May 11 12:22:03 UTC 2006

A few years back when I was working on an html gallery generation tool, I found
this:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ph/src/zoom/

It has some very high quality scaling results, at least for what I was doing at
the time.  I was looking for libraries to use for the image scaling (mostly
downscaling for the purposes of thumbnails/intermediate sized images on pages),
and realized that ImageMagick stole this code and didn't properly attribute the
original author.  All of the algorithms here should be available in ImageMagick
libs as well.  It might be worth mining and allowing configuration of scaling
algorithm in the UI, that way an appropriate algorithm can be chosen that
blends CPU use with quality.

-matt

Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Bryan Mayland wrote:
>> I'm considering the feasibility is of replacing XV's hardware scaling to
>> zoom video playback with what could be higher quality software scalers.
>
>> http://capnbry.net/~bmayland/fi/pvr150/resizetest1_xv.jpg
>> http://capnbry.net/~bmayland/fi/pvr150/resizetest1_lanc.jpg
>
> The difference is vast. I would be very interested in the software
> scaler in Myth (got 1360x768 output resolution while having most source
> PAL only).
>
> Petr

matt mead

http://collectivity.goof.com/