[mythtv] Feasability of using software scalers in mythtv videoout

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu May 11 12:40:52 UTC 2006

On 5/11/06, Petr Stehlik <pstehlik at sophics.cz> wrote:
> Bryan Mayland wrote:
> > I'm considering the feasibility is of replacing XV's hardware scaling to
> > zoom video playback with what could be higher quality software scalers.
>
> > http://capnbry.net/~bmayland/fi/pvr150/resizetest1_xv.jpg
> > http://capnbry.net/~bmayland/fi/pvr150/resizetest1_lanc.jpg
>
> The difference is vast. I would be very interested in the software
> scaler in Myth (got 1360x768 output resolution while having most source
> PAL only).

This would also be a great way to handle overscan for video playback,
allow the user to specify the screen size and position (like with the
GUI settings) and the software scaler could properly place the image
on their screen.

I'd also be interested to see how it fares against converting 720p to
1080p for all the new native 1080p displays coming out (mainly to see
if its worth using the software scaler over the internal scalers built
in to the tv's).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!