[mythtv] Recordings in subdirectories

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sun Feb 5 17:39:30 UTC 2006

> I think with this patch added, we could move one step closer to having
> recordings be put across multiple drives, using symbolic links.  With
> some kind of job running every now and again, just move a recording to
> a symbolically linked sub directory and then update the DB
> accordingly.

You can already accomplish this in theory with the myth_archive_job.pl
script, it just doesn't update the database because it just moves the
original file and creates a symlink in the old location pointing to the
new location.  It works great and supports multiple drives.

> Mike, is this patch going into SVN?

I think Kevin Kuphal has mentioned a couple times that he wants to work
on adding the concept of "Storage Groups" to SVN once 0.19 is out.  So
this patch may or may not make it in as part of that.  If Kevin doesn't
work on it, then I will, or perhaps we work on it together.  I have
3 directories which hold all of my videos.  I manage this by using the
myth_archive_job.pl script I put in the SVN contrib directory.  I
run this as a UserJob currently, but would like to stop having to
copy files around after the recording finishes so the concept of
Storage Groups is very near the top of my TODO list.  I even contemplated
hacking in some code in my tree to create the link ahead of time so that
the file would get created in its final home.

So, I think you can expect something that will accomplish this before
0.20, but the details have yet to be worked out.

I'll start another thread on the topic of Storage Groups.

--
Chris