[mythtv] Mytharchive iso image too big

Daniel Staaf dst at bostream.nu
Fri Dec 22 14:14:35 UTC 2006

John Pilkington wrote:

> After several trials I got an image that K3b wrote successfully when the
> initial value of dvdrsize in mythburn.py was changed from 4482 to 4330.
>
> K3b reported the size of the written image as 4487 Mb, still apparently
> 5Mb above threshhold.

A good quality writable DVD has a guarantied capacity of 4.7 GB (disc
manufacturers' / ISO definition where 1 GB = 1000 x 1000 x 1000 bytes),
also known as 4.38 GB (traditional computer software definition where 1
GB = 1024 x 1024 x 1024 bytes). You might be able to write more
depending on how good your burner and media is but if you want to keep
your data safe for several years you should probably not burn more than
4 GB on each disc (time will tell, you might want to read up on the
reliability differences between DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM
(best but expensive discs and few burners to choose from)).

Check http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm to make sure you are
not paying more than you should for your blank media. The 3rd class
media listed there is apparently not good enough to burn more than 2GB
on if you want to keep your data safe.

/ Daniel