[mythtv] Mytharchive iso image too big

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Dec 22 12:57:46 UTC 2006

John Pilkington wrote:
> Hi: I've had several occasions when K3b has rejected a Mytharchive dvd
> image because it's too big.  I posted parts of the log on myth-users.
>
> Obviously I could select the recordings more carefully, but a moderate
> requant ought to be OK and is supported.
>
> I think the problem arises because mythburn aims to create an image that
> fills the physical storage capacity of the dvd, making no allowance for
> formatting overheads.  The Mytharchive menu quotes available capacity as
> 4.38 Gb, disk capacity as 4482 Mb; in the version that I have (FC5
> atrpms) mythburn uses the latter.  It's an easy edit - does anyone have
> a definitive value?
>
> John Pilkington

After several trials I got an image that K3b wrote successfully when the
initial value of dvdrsize in mythburn.py was changed from 4482 to 4330.

K3b reported the size of the written image as 4487 Mb, still apparently
5Mb above threshhold.

Mythburn uses a guesstimate (?) of 1.05 for the factor by which
multiplexing will increase the size of the video component, so YMMV.

John P