[mythtv] channel skew/offset in program guide

Tom Metro tmetro+mythtv-dev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 08:25:44 UTC 2006

I'm about a week into a new MythTV installation (version 0.20 via Ubuntu
package mythtv-backend0.20-0.2ubuntu2 on Fiesty; using zap2it as data
source) and I've observed that my program guide data (as viewed from
mythtv-frontend or mythweb) is frequently showing a channel skew of one
channel number for listings a day or two in the future. For example, my
Dec 4 listings look OK, but on Dec 5 the first three channels list "NO
DATA", followed by the 3rd channel's data showing up in the 4th
channel's slot, and all subsequent rows offset by one channel row.

I searched the wiki, trac, and both mailing lists looking for a
solution, but found none, however I did spot several other threads where
people report the same problem:

MythTV channel listings skew problem. | MythTV | Users

Can't get channel listings to stay aligned | MythTV | Users

Channels mixed up | MythTV | Users

Database question/problem | MythTV | Dev
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/503

I got the impression from one of the threads that one possible cause for
this might be mythfilldatabase having difficulty parsing the data from
DataDirect. I altered my cron.daily script to log the output from
mythfilldatabase:

# rcsdiff -r1.1 mythtv-backend
diff -r1.1 mythtv-backend
3c3
< su mythtv -c "mythfilldatabase --quiet"
---
> su mythtv -c "mythfilldatabase >> /var/log/mythtv/mythfilldatabase.log"

but so far nothing interesting in the log.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to look at next in order to track
down the cause of this. I noticed when I run mythfilldatabase manually,
it looks like it is calling wget, and sending the output to STDOUT, so
I'm guessing there aren't any temporary files where I could examine the
raw XML. Though presumably I should be able to access the DataDirect web
service manually and retrieve the data to see if the offset originates
there. Is there a debug mode for mythfilldatabase? Are there any
particular database queries that might illuminate the source of the offset?

Also, I'd be curious to know what the mechanism is for matching up
channel data from DataDirect with channel slots in the program guide. I
would have expected it to involve the IDs (xmltvid), and thus a parsing
error on one channel shouldn't offset the rest.

  -Tom