[mythtv] Aspect/Zoom Override Menu UI

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Dec 4 17:45:48 UTC 2006

There is a bug filed on the aspect ratio override menu. The problem is
that unlike the other checkbox menus this menu does not go away when
you select one of the entries and since the checkbox menu is not
regenerated after you select an action this causes the old selection
to remain selected. I could fix this relatively easily, but my question
is should this menu really behave differently from the other checkbox
menus?

My guess is that the argument for it is that people who need this
override often get the selection wrong, so they need to try different
options.

The arguments against this is that you would quickly learn which
option is correct for you if you need this all the time so you
would want the menu to go away after you selected an entry, and
we want all UI elements that look the same to behave the same way
so that users know what to expect when they use that same control
with a different option.

I'm leaning toward making this menu act like the other ones, but
I'm concerned that since this was added explicitly, it must have
been for a good reason which either no longer applies or one I
can't discern. (I've added a patch to ticket #2606 which removes
the exception for the aspect ratio menu.)

-- Daniel