[mythtv] Unusual path to lirc config file breaks lircrcd

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Sun Aug 27 12:51:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 19:30:21 +0100, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Saturday 26 August 2006 18:57, Nick wrote:
> > Is there a specific reason why this is the case? xine, mplayer etc use
> > ~/.lircrc etc, and it would rule out another installation variable for
> > normal users.
>
> Well it doesn't answer your question but 0.20 will go a long way to removing
> the need for xine/mplayer to even be installed ...

But the user may still want to use other applications that are
controlled by lirc.

> Personally I'd rather all the mythtv related files were in the same place.

I like this idea, too. But the drawback is that it makes things more
complicated, and in my case, broken. I just wondered why lircrcd
stopped to work, and the reason was that the ~/.mythtv/lircrcd symlink
was replaced by a socket somehow.

> Having configs etc spread all over the place makes backup harder and it's not
> so easy to remember where they all are. I'm just guessing this was the
> reasoning in the first place.

The ~/.lircrc file is quite standard and it would be nice if mythtv
would also look for this file in the case that ~/.mythtv/lircrc doesn't
exist. That way, old configs still work and the problem above is solved
without the creation of a symlink over and over again.

Regards,
Tino