[mythtv] mythtv-setup channels questions/suggestion

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 15:16:28 UTC 2005

Hi.  For the longest time I've been getting messages like this when I startup
my backend:

2005-10-23 10:59:43.940 Channel(/dev/video1)::SwitchToInput(in 6): Error -1
while setting video mode 'ATSC' (v2), "Invalid argument", trying v4l v1
2005-10-23 10:59:43.942 Channel(/dev/video1)::SwitchToInput(in 6): Setting
video mode with v4l version 1 worked
2005-10-23 10:59:44.235 Channel(/dev/video2)::SwitchToInput(in 6): Error -1
while setting video mode 'ATSC' (v2), "Invalid argument", trying v4l v1
2005-10-23 10:59:44.238 Channel(/dev/video2)::SwitchToInput(in 6): Setting
video mode with v4l version 1 worked

/dev/video1 and /dev/video2 are my NTSC PVR-500 tuners, so it makes sense that
they can't switch to 'ATSC' video mode.

At first I thought this was a channel configuration issue.  My first card was a
PCHDTV-3000, so when I set the "default" video mode it was ATSC.  Looking at my
NTSC channels, they're all set to use 'default' as their video mode.  They're
actually NTSC channels, so I went through and changed them all to NTSC
explicitly, but I still get the warnings above.

My first question: why am I getting the warning?  I'm GUESSING that the default
mode is used for all cards on startup, then the channel's mode when it's tuned
to?  The warnings don't seem to hurt anything (I could still tune/view channels
even when they were all set to use the 'default' value of ATSC)

My second question: if I had my video modes wrong for my NTSC channels all this
time, why did everything work OK?  Do you just auto-fallback to NTSC for PVR
cards or something like that?  Just curious.

My suggestion: Make default video modes for each channel lineup.  I don't know
if my lineups are typical, but I have a 'cable' lineup which is all NTSC and a
'ATSC-bdcst' linup which is all ATSC.  I suppose there will be people who have
multiple modes on a given lineup (ATSC channels could also be in my cable
lineup, if I wanted to to firewire capture), but even then most of the channels
would be NTSC.

Right now there are only 2 ways to update the video mode... very slowly through
the channel editor (there are lots of channels), or very quickly through
database edits (which you probably don't want the average user monkeying around
with).

Just a suggestion.

Thanks,

--Jack