[mythtv] Development task list:

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Oct 5 12:38:14 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 04:12 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> Just wrote up a short list of tasks that I think would be good directions for
> myth to go in:
> http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/FutureDevelopment

The zeroconf/rendevous has been on my roadmap for a while, I see it as
part of making MythTV easier to set-up. It eliminates the need to know
IP addresses on the 95% of home networks it works on; which comprises
almost all the people who think, IP address, wha?

I would really like MythTV to be something my completely non-technical
in-laws could install, so I'm also interested in the SQL abstraction as
it might allow a simple linkable DB, like Berkeley DB.

The LiveTV changes I'm all for.

The UI rewrite is also needed, if only as a cruft removal process.
The OpenGL rendering is neat too of course.

A more often updated website would be good...

As for Qt 4.x I'm not for this unless 3.1 compatibility is kept around
for a while, in which case I'm all for it.

As for incorporating the plug-ins... I'd rather see a plugin API 2.0
with calls added to make plug-ins embeddable, focus switchable, etc.

Changing the RPC protocol isn't high on my list, I've used CORBA,
DCOM+, and their kin. The love affair does not last long, and you
can't fix the performance bugs since they are in someone else's code.
If someone decides to use it as a public protocol the user has to
make MythTV internals public too to use the popular protocol, think
NFS when that RPC protocol was still used by others. The MythTV
internals were not designed to be secure against attacks. Making
them secure would be a huge, performance degrading, undertaking.

My roadmap also includes:
* Adding Colorkey OSD for surface limited XvMC implementations (nVidia)
* Documenting everything
* Improving text input by remote/joystick (post-MythUI, for gfx)
* Merging the DVB and HDTV recorder parsers
* Adding some parsing on the frontend to detect subtitle/audio language,
  detect aspect ratio, handle DSM-CC, etc.

-- Daniel