[mythtv] EIT Broken +other thoughts.

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Oct 3 14:21:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 12:17 +0100, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:

> 2) While watching liveTV EIT is no longer collected.
I'll re-enable this. No Biggie.

> 1) If the EIT crawler picks a channel that is off air (& so only a
> data channel) the crawler gets stuck and doesn't go any further.
> Daniel, part of what happens in #1 is that when the backend
> attempts to reconstruct a PMT for the frontend, it can't find
> any video and so gives up building a new PMT.
i.c. My hope was that someone would want to improve the scanner
right away and change it to tune to transports instead of channels,
but this PMT problem is easy enough to fix, I'll commit something
soon.

> I think this is a root cause of a number of other problems that
> some people have been seeing. What I would like to do is as follows
> 1) Contruct a PMT under all circumstances and pass it through
> 2) Add handling to cope with PMT that may be only data or audio.
I'll just turn off the video requirement for PMT's during EIT Scan.
this is only a couple of lines of code in mpegstreamdata.

> The interesting part about this is we can use #2 to implement
> preliminary support for audio only (ie. radio) channels and also
> data only channels.
I can enable audio only channels in TVRec by just changing a couple
constants, the reason they are disabled is because VideoOutput
requires video to work. If someone fixes that I'll enable audio
in TVRec.

> What I would need to do this is a way of insterting a static
> mpeg I frame into the stream to generate a video stream
> even though it doesn't change. One could be an image of a radio,
> one an image representing data.
Just patch AVFormatDecoder and the VideoOutput to cope with audio
only streams... it shouldn't be that hard. I don't have any audio
channels with listings so I don't have any motivation to implement
this, but it wouldn't be too difficult.

-- Daniel