[mythtv] Reinitialze Audio Output Device on LiveTV Channel Change

Lyall mythtv at modified.cc
Mon Nov 28 05:59:30 EST 2005

Hi All,

I'm trying to code a dynamic change of the audio output device to allow
myth to automatically change from PCM to passthrough AC3.  In my case that
means changing from ALSA:spdif for PCM to ALSA:plug:iec958:{AES0 0x6 AES1
0x82 AES2 0x0 AES3 0x2} for AC3.  In both cases passthrough is enabled.

Some small changes to avformatdecoder.cpp and NuppelVideoPlayer.cpp have
allowed the correct channel to be selected when opening recorded programs,
and also for the first channel opened on live tv.

However, when changing channels in livetv the audio channel is not
re-opened, the new stream is simply passed down the original channel,
resulting in a decoding error on the amplifier.

Can anyone offer some advice on how I might get the audio channel to
re-initialize on a channel change ?

Thanks,
Lyall