[mythtv] Autoexpire doesn't remove LiveTV files

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Thu Nov 24 05:42:24 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:09:52 -0800, BP wrote:
> Does this mean live tv files will not get cleaned up if I have auto-expire
> disabled?  I do not trust a computer to decide which recordings I wish to
> keep and those I do not.  If I miss a recording due to lack of space, it's
> my fault.  That is my preference.
>
> Seems rather annoying if I will now have to do manual maintenance of all
> the live tv files.
>
> Anyone else fall in to this use case?

Yes, I'm in complete agreement with you. In addition I use the
remaining disk space as an indicator of when I should sit down and catch
up on some tv. ie. I often don't make time to watch things until the disk
is filling up. But I certainly don't want to loose anything I've chosen to
record (and it'd be even worse if my wife was to loose hers!).

Perhaps an option to automatically delete live tv recordings a period of
time later (unless specifically kept of course) would work. I'd like to
choose an hour, but it sounds like that wouldn't work well with the
current implementation - ie. mythbackend knows what is being recorded and
is being watched, but in the case of being a few hours behind livetv
anything in between is not special and would get deleted. In which case a
setting of 12 or 24 hours would probably work well.

Cheers,

Martin.