[mythtv] Autoexpire doesn't remove LiveTV files

David Raine davidraine2002 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 24 07:24:20 EST 2005

>On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:09:52 -0800, BP wrote:
> > Does this mean live tv files will not get cleaned up if I have
>auto-expire
> > disabled?  I do not trust a computer to decide which recordings I wish
> > keep and those I do not.  If I miss a recording due to lack of space,
>it's
> > my fault.  That is my preference.
> >
> > Seems rather annoying if I will now have to do manual maintenance of all
> > the live tv files.
> >
> > Anyone else fall in to this use case?
>
>Yes, I'm in complete agreement with you. In addition I use the
>remaining disk space as an indicator of when I should sit down and catch
>up on some tv. ie. I often don't make time to watch things until the disk
>is filling up. But I certainly don't want to loose anything I've chosen to
>record (and it'd be even worse if my wife was to loose hers!).
>
>Perhaps an option to automatically delete live tv recordings a period of
>time later (unless specifically kept of course) would work. I'd like to
>choose an hour, but it sounds like that wouldn't work well with the
>current implementation - ie. mythbackend knows what is being recorded and
>is being watched, but in the case of being a few hours behind livetv
>anything in between is not special and would get deleted. In which case a
>setting of 12 or 24 hours would probably work well.

I would also like the option. After using the new LiveTV for a few days, I
have hundreds of files to manually clean up. Since my disk space is in
excess of 1TB, it will be a long time before these autoexpire, methinks. I
really don't want to have to do this manually.

Is there any way I can set these "transient" LiveTV recordings to be handled
some other way? Perhaps an option in the recording profiles to mark the
LiveTV group as transient so that recordings made in that group can be
expired and hidden from the recordings menu.

Perhaps these liveTV "recordings" should just be hidden and auto-expired as
a matter of course - do they add value for anyone?

Regards
David