[mythtv] Where should *users* report problems/potential bugs?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 21 12:52:06 EST 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 14:22, Ian Caulfield wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Daniel Segel wrote:
>
> > I'm a user running the svn version of MythTV. I do follow the
> > mythtv-dev and
> > commits list, but I'm not sure where I should report problems I
> > find. Should
> > I post them to the mythtv-users list first, or here?
> >
> > A recent example was the 'can't delete' bug that was introduced in
> > 7928 and
> > fixed in 7934; this one was fixed while I was debating with myself
> > about
> > where to post the problem, but in the future I might not be so
> > lucky.
>
> If you find a bug, it's good to post it as a ticket on the trac -
> emails on the list sometimes get buried!

No, no, no!!! Please don't create a ticket for something until you've
verified that it's an actual bug -- doing so often wastes valuable
developer time because someone has to close tickets that aren't
actually bugs.  The most appropriate place to report/inquire about
potential bugs is the -users list; queries to the -dev list should be
limited to issues regarding specific code changes.

Once the chatter on the -users list has verified that there's an actual
bug, you can migrate the discussion to the -dev list, or create a Trac
ticket, or both.  Quite often a developer will pick up on the list
discussion and create a ticket themselves.

Of course, if you are a developer and can verify that there is a bona
fide bug in the code, then you can bypass the -users list :-)

-JAC