[mythtv] SVN Branching

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Thu Nov 17 10:16:41 EST 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> I don't know about Isaac, but if it were my project and I saw this many
> people complaining about my not branching, I would purposefully delay
> the completion of the LiveTV overhaul.  Maybe I'm just mean, but...

Yeah you're just mean. :)

I think one of the problems is that its just too easy to grab source
from svn and build it... people just get into the habit and forget the
whole point is that they are accessing development source code.

Daniel's right, that with hindsight a branch might have made sense since
it took longer than expected..... on the other hand the longer it takes
to finish such a pervasive change on a separate branch the more of a
nightmare it becomes to merge it back in.

After all it's not as if the change was made with no warning.

Seriously though, no-one who is complaining is going to setup their own
svn server.. (and that is a rather daft idea:) but there's nothing
stopping them svn-ing to the revision before the live tv update and then
applying just the later commits that they're interested in.

Cheers,
--
Ivor
http://www.ivor.it