[mythtv] Idea for interlaced playback.

Dennis Tell dennis.tell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 23:47:14 EST 2005

With no control of what kind of hardware is used, will it ever work out of
the box for everyone?

Bjorn, I believe my MSI card is using nvidias nv17 (or 18) chip for tv out.
Many ASUS cards use a different chip, according to this
database<http://ssl.jbmedia.de/cardbase/cardbase_query.asp?lang=en>but
data can be entered by anyone, so it might be inaccurate.

For PAL, if the tv out is synched to a 50Hz display refresh rate, and no
scaling occurs, there are two perfectly reasonable ways to generate a tvout
signal:

1. Grab both fields from one frame and skip one frame
2. Grab even field from one frame and odd from next

Does anyone know if both these methods are used in video cards?

If the display is running at 25hz, only the first method makes sense, so one
would hope that the tv out chip would do the right thing. In my case, with
my particular graphics card, that seems to be the case since my picture is
smooth...

Dennis