[mythtv] FYI: Building SVN difficult - dependancies galore.!

Buzz buzz at oska.com
Thu Nov 10 00:24:04 EST 2005

I, for one, was actually inspired by Isaac's big 'this breaks livetv' commit
to actually try and start using SVN/head and see if there were
simple/outstanding issues that I could tackle, and give-back.

I found building SVN of mythtv+plugins+themes, and organising all the the
dependancies to be quite a challenge, as they don't seem to be documented
anywhere except in ./configure breaking/complaining when it doesn't find
certain files/libraries/etc.

Errors like "MythMusic requires libid3tag", when I actually and obviously
had a libid3tag RPM installed are the most confusing. (it appears I did not
have the relevant headers that are in with libid3tag-devel not libid3tag).
This has happened 1/2 dozen times so far, and I still don't have SVN
compiling fully.
Requiring libraw1394?? Well, actually it seems to require 1.2.x or higher,
not just any old libraw1394.    (or maybe it was libavn1394, or was it
librom1394, I forget now. - you get my point!)

That said, I've just spent two evenings trying to orgainise a simpler way to
build an RPM of SVN, so that getting SVN installed is easier for "testers"
(non-coding types interested in helping with SVN where possible).  When I've
got it going (end of tonite maybe?), this could make building and installing
nightlies of SVN more of a no-brainer.

CURRENT SVN BUILD PROBLEM(1):
'make install' of SVN's mythtv/libs/libmyth/ isn't installing the header
files correctly, it's installing to 'usr/include/mythtv/' not
'/usr/include/mythtv/' as it should (I did 'configure --prefix=/usr').
CURRENT SVN BUILD PROBLEM(2)
As a result of the above:  'mythbrowser' not building because it requires
libmyth headers to be installed in /usr/include/mythtv/* and can't find
them.

Suggestions anyone?    Currently, I've just gone and 'cp -r'-ed the folder
to the right place and run ldconfig afterwards, but is that ok?

Buzz.