[mythtv] Can't use MythTV after svn Help

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 6 11:15:30 EST 2005

Tom Lichti wrote:

> Steve & Laurie Sanders wrote:
>

>> BUT I can not view live tv anymore and I can not see any of my
>> recordings! The only thing I can find unusual is on the system info
>> page I have some strange stuff:
>> ****************
>> myth 0.19.20051104-1
>>
>> SWAP: UNKNOWN
>> Disk usage on UNKNOWN_COMMAND:
>>                       UNKNOWN
>> 0 minutes left, using recording profile "HDTV"
>> 0 minutes left using your typical recording profile
>> ********************
>>
>> I only have OTA std definition television. Is my database destroyed?
>> I still have lots of nuv files in /video but when I try to watch
>> recordings I see none available When I try to watch live tv clicking
>> on the menu just blinks the watch tv link but does nothing, does not
>> even leave the menu.
>>
>> If I should be posting somewhere else please let me know. I am dead
>> in the water rigth now. Does anyone know how to get me back up again?
>> I can do any kind of debugging with instructions provided.
>>

> You updated at exactly the wrong time, unfortunately! The head
> developer, Isaac Richards, comitted some major changes to Live TV
> yesterday which meant he actually completely disabled the function. I
> know there were a bunch more commits last night/today, and it looks
> like LiveTV is somewhat working again, but I'm going to waita few days
> to see what comes out of it.
>
> As for your recordings being gone, between your 18.1 version and
> current SVN they changed the file naming schema to be a bit more
> informative. However it's not backwards compatible in that it won't
> read the old filenames (it can still read the files themselves,
> however). I believe there is a utility in the mythtv/contrib directory
> that will rename the files to be correct for the new version but I
> don't recall what it is. You may have to do some searching int he
> mailing list archives to find it.
>
> If you can live without Live TV, I'd wait it out, but since it's not
> working anyway you could just update to latest SVN again and it may
> work for you. You can always go into the guide and start a recording
> manually and then go to the recordings screen to watch it. Kind of a
> pain, but it will work.

Given the large number of highly sensitive changes going in at the
moment, I'd recommend staying away from SVN at the momentm, especially
if you've only been running release version up until now -- unless you'd
like to help Isaac test out the new LiveTV function.  There are bound to
be some instabilities for a while as the kinks get worked out; after
all, Isaacs re-writing a large chunk of the major functionality of MythTV.

However, if you'd still like to enjoy the benefits of some of the
features that have made it in to SVN since the 0.18/0.18.1 releases, I'd
suggest updating to a slightly older version of SVN, say about a week
old.  I'm running the 7569 revision (from about 10/24) with no
problems.  To update to a specific revision, I believe the command is
"svn update -r <revnum>".

-JAC