[mythtv] Offline viewing on Laptop

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 4 14:22:41 EST 2005

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Paul Rhodes wrote:
>
>> I would like to be able to select files from mythtv to sync with my
>> laptop so I can keep up with TV programmes while I am travelling, but
>> I can't seem to find a clean way of doing this right now.
>>
>> I'm using DSMyth to watch recordings via mythweb right now, but I
>> cannot click on 'Save Target as  ...' for myth:// links.
>>
>> Ideally it would be nice to have a program where I can select
>> programs via a GUI (web or client/server) and sync them overnight.
>>
>> Is any of this possible? I'm sure other people must be doing this -
>> what is the best solution available right now?
>>
> Best solution, use something like the mythrename.pl script with the
> --link option to generate pretty named symbolic links and then copy
> the files to your laptop for viewing (WinSCP, etc.).  It probably also
> wouldn't be very hard to add a link that would work for Save Target As
> from Mythweb referring to the filesystem (assuming you set up the
> appropriate apache paths exposing your recording directory, etc).
>
> But I don't think there is anything more elegant.

Yeah.  I would say that adding to MythWeb isn't worthwhile because
forcing a user to "Save Link As" 10-40 times and having to deal with
Download Managers, etc. is not a very usable interface.

I create a network share on my Myth box and just "copy" the linked files
over.  It's much easier than dealing with the web interface and coming
up with names for everything, and I can get the right information in the
filenames.  I usually copy from my "original airdate" view of the
files.  I use mythrename --link to create views ordered by starttime,
title/subtitle, title/original airdate, recording group/title/starttime,
and category/title/starttime.  Then, I have all the information on the
filesystem to allow me to pick the appropriate order to watch the shows.

Mike