[mythtv] ebuilds for all myth components in cvs

Jay Sprenkle jsprenkle at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:30:14 UTC 2005

> > The cvs version is by nature unstable code that's likely to have a lot of
> > bugs since it's a snapshot of a work in progress. What's the point of
> > making an ebuild,
> > which is a way to mass distribute a release, when the release isn't ready
> > yet?
>
> because i can go emerge mythtv-cvs and it does all the hard work for me
> i suppose i could do it all in a shell script, but then *i* would ask why.
> an ebuild encapsulates all the build information in one place so i don't have
> to recreate it every time. seems pretty logical to me. in fact, i only have
> one piece of software on all my gentoo boxes (and i have quite a few) which
> is not installed via an ebuild

In all the projects I've ever done the "build information" consisted
of a directory
structure with files in it. All the rest of the setup necessary to
build a program
was shell script environment variables and settings in other programs (like the
linker and loader paths, etc.) . What is it that you're encapsulating
in the ebuild
that you don't get from 'tar -xvzf archive.tar'?  The total
environment of the build
isn't covered by ebuilds.

> > The gentoo ebuilds don't play together. This has been a problem
> > with every automated distribution system I've ever tried (portage, cpan,
> > etc). Very sloppy.
>
> are you saying that my ebuilds don't work together. can you tell me what is
> wrong and i'll fix them up?

The ebuild I got for mythweb complained the 'protocol was incorrect' when you
built it and tried to run. From what I've seen in the mailing list it
looks like the
mythtv developers are actively changing the frontend to backend protocol.
I believe the mythweb ebuild was created to work with a different
version of mythtv.
I used non versioned emerge commands, ie.
emerge mythtv
emerge mythweb
the emerge for mythdvd doesn't even compile.

> > Why are you preparing ebuilds if you don't even use them?
> > Shouldn't you be using them so they'll get at least some minimal testing?
> >

> i am using them. on several machines. what i am not doing is building mythtv
> with one ebuild and (say) mythmusic with another. my ebuilds come as a set.
> use them all or use none.

One of the other devs explained the advantage to using them. I hadn't thought
about using them as an easy way to uninstall the source. A good trick! :)

> > > what php.ini file? there is none in mythweb. i'm not really passing the
> > > buck, but if you are referring to the php.ini file which configures php
> > > globally, then you might want to check www.php.net or www.google.com. my
> > > apache/php installation is pretty standard and i'm having no problems.
> >
> > In the mythweb/config there's a PHP file that has setup/initialization
> > options. It assumes you know PHP coding. Not everyone does.
>
> well there are large parts of myth that i have never ever looked at. the
> ebuilds that i have provided are to help me to build myth. if they are of use
> to anyone, then fine. if not, well that is also fine.
> as for the conf.php file. i assume you mean things like:
>
> define('server_domain', $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] ? $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] :
> $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);

That's the line I had trouble with. I wasn't sure if I had to edit it,
and if so what is
was doing. I would feel really embarrassed to put out instructions
that people had
to resort to google to understand.

> a quick search with google will tell you what that means. in any case, i've
> never found the need to change that file myself.
>
> best of luck with your myth system

Thanks Simon!
I have it working reasonably well (finally!), though I've found two major
glitches. Is there a bugzilla for it?