[mythtv] ebuilds for all myth components in cvs

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Wed May 4 10:20:35 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 14:09, Jay Sprenkle wrote:
> > my ebuilds build everything from CVS. the offical ebuilds from gentoo do
> > not use cvs. you ask "is this the case with your new ebuilds?"
>
> The cvs version is by nature unstable code that's likely to have a lot of
> bugs since it's a snapshot of a work in progress. What's the point of
> making an ebuild,
> which is a way to mass distribute a release, when the release isn't ready
> yet?

because i can go emerge mythtv-cvs and it does all the hard work for me
i suppose i could do it all in a shell script, but then *i* would ask why.
an ebuild encapsulates all the build information in one place so i don't have
to recreate it every time. seems pretty logical to me. in fact, i only have
one piece of software on all my gentoo boxes (and i have quite a few) which
is not installed via an ebuild

> > is what the case? that you have to use 0.17 mythweb with 0.18 mythtv? if
> > that is what you are asking, then the answer is no. i'm using the mythweb
> > produced by my ebuild with the mythtv produced my my ebuild.
>
> The gentoo ebuilds don't play together. This has been a problem
> with every automated distribution system I've ever tried (portage, cpan,
> etc). Very sloppy.

are you saying that my ebuilds don't work together. can you tell me what is
wrong and i'll fix them up?

> > if you are asking about the gentoo released ebuilds then i cannot help
> > you as i don't use them (or mythtv releases for that matter). i only use
> > cvs
>
> I was under the assumption "ebuilds" were part of gentoo.
> Is there an "ebuild" that's not part of gentoo?

what i meant was ebuilds not distributed my the gentoo project. ie. mine being
but a small example

> Why are you preparing ebuilds if you don't even use them?
> Shouldn't you be using them so they'll get at least some minimal testing?

i am using them. on several machines. what i am not doing is building mythtv
with one ebuild and (say) mythmusic with another. my ebuilds come as a set.
use them all or use none.

> > > The php.ini file could really use more comments too. I'm not familiar
> > > with PHP and it's not very clear how to edit the servername php code
> > > there.
> >
> > what php.ini file? there is none in mythweb. i'm not really passing the
> > buck, but if you are referring to the php.ini file which configures php
> > globally, then you might want to check www.php.net or www.google.com. my
> > apache/php installation is pretty standard and i'm having no problems.
>
> In the mythweb/config there's a PHP file that has setup/initialization
> options. It assumes you know PHP coding. Not everyone does.

well there are large parts of myth that i have never ever looked at. the
ebuilds that i have provided are to help me to build myth. if they are of use
to anyone, then fine. if not, well that is also fine.
as for the conf.php file. i assume you mean things like:

define('server_domain', $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] ? $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] :
$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);

a quick search with google will tell you what that means. in any case, i've
never found the need to change that file myself.

best of luck with your myth system
--
simon