[mythtv] MythMusic: MetaLibrarian RFC

Colin Guthrie myth at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 23 10:15:26 UTC 2005

Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 March 2005 08:37, thor wrote:
>
>> So ... uhm ... for mythmusic, where exactly are we on 2.3 versus 2.4 tags?
>>As I understand things, we're now writing tags that almost nothing else can
>>understand. Is that accurate? If so, can we improve on that  :-)   ?
>

> i submitted a bug on bugzilla (decided to do it there as well so there was a
> record of it). isaac closed it as "won't fix". says that other programs
> should use the standard. a rather childish response, but there you go :-(
>
> my suggestion is that we use a library that will work properly (read and write
> 2.3 tags) and use that.

I do have to agree with Isaac on this one.

I've read many posts that iTunes /can/ read ID3v2.4 tags too..... lemme
find it:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/taglib-devel/2005-January/000057.html
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/taglib-devel/2005-January/000059.html
and especially (iTunes related):
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/taglib-devel/2005-January/000061.html

These are all on the same thread so you can jsut follow it from the
first link if you like.

If there is suitible unrest however, I will undertake to write a simple
ID3v2.3 tagger specifically for Myth. It is relativly trivial to write
(I've read the specs till blue in the face), so should not pose any
great challenge to me.

Col.