[mythtv] Re: Whats wrong with myth

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Sun Mar 20 23:53:14 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 09:02:13PM -0800, Thomas M. Pluth wrote:
> Also, HDTV cards, because of the data rate involved, are very selective
> about the PCI chipset of the motherboard.  They seem to work best on Intel
> based boards (845, 865, 875 chipsets).   They are very sensitive to PCI bus
> latency and loading.  I had trouble running multiple HD cards in one server,
> because I also had numerous HDD controllers in that server as well.

This makes no sense.  The data rates of HDTV tuner cards are quite small,
in the range of 19 megabits, a fraction of what any ethernet card or
disk controller or many other cards do.   There is no reason for what you
describe.

Playing back hi-res video on the other hand does take a lot of data movement,
about 500 megabytes/second, which is why only AGP cards (or pci express) really
can cut it in that department.