[mythtv] Re: Whats wrong with myth

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun Mar 20 07:11:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:50:28AM +0800, jam at tigger.ws wrote:
> SDTV is good, HDTV is blocky and pixelated,
>     "I'm with mom on this, its so jerky I get a headache watching it"
>
> PIDs, sql, sound all handled without too much loss of sleep, and 0.17's
> scan is much better (once you've handled the no feeds situation)
[..]
> All machines were using Pascoe's FUSION drivers.

I too have issues with HDTV in Australia. I'm using KWorld cards which
have pretty much identical hardware to your Fusion. (BTW I hope you have
the Fusion Plus and not the Lite.)

Specifically:
- Seven HD has choppy audio with audio buffer underrun messages to
  the console at a rate of a few per second. I'm using ALSA drivers
  and Myth's ALSA audio support.

- ABC HD (which is different from ABC in the US, please note!)
  works OK if I go directly to it when starting HDTV, else the audio
  is choppy. I get some ffmpeg errors spit out on the console every
  few seconds even when the audio is working fine; they are ac-tex
  errors and the like.

- SBS HD has breaking picture and audio, with lots of ffmpeg errors.

I didn't try 9 or 10.

It doesn't appear to be CPU-bound; if anything while watching Seven with
breaking audio (but OK picture) CPU usage seems lower than other stations.
I have an XP 2600+, GF4 MX440 video (not using XvMC).

I have been content with the digital SD stations until now but recently
bought an HDTV, so would like to get this going at some point. I can
help debug but don't know where to start.

Hamish