[mythtv] Insertion of external recordings into MythTV's recordings list

Kevin James rincewind at kjames.net
Fri Mar 18 00:00:46 UTC 2005

Hi
I've been reading the list for a while now, and nothing has come up on a
similar topic to this, so I figured I'd post.

Background:
I have a TiVo (networked) in my living room connected to my satellite TV
system, a mythtv backend with a tv-encoder card (which is elsewhere and
can only receive a terrestrial signal), and a mythtv frontend in the
bedroom. I'd like to watch my TiVo recorded programmes (as most of the
stuff I watch is on satellite channels) in the bedroom on my mythtv box.
I looked at the MythTivo module, but as it streams direct from the tivo
and my myth frontend is an EPIA M6000, I get slow playback as it's not
an MPEG recording. I found some software (see
http://www.fumanchu.com/tivo) which allows me to dump down recordings
from my TiVo in mpeg format on my server, which play back nicely on my
M6000. I extended the scripts so that when a programme is grabbed from
TiVo, it is inserted into the MythVideo database table. I can cron this
to get any new TiVo stuff every night.

My problem is that I can see, in a short time, I will run out of space
on my server, unless I manually keep the space down (and remove entries
from the MythVideo DB Table). It occurred to me (after seeing many posts
on the different possible ways to manage it) that the auto-delete
feature of the main MythTV recordings list would be an ideal way to
manage the space.

So, (finally!) my question is: Before I delve into the source code to
figure out how to do it (i.e. how to populate the database correctly),
can anyone think of any compelling reasons not to insert externally
recorded programmes into the main MythTV recordings list? Or have I
managed to come up with a fairly good idea?

Cheers,
Kev.