[mythtv] Re: mythtv presentation at the CeBIT

Ralph Metzler rjkm at metzlerbros.de
Thu Mar 3 10:53:16 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm writes:
 > > They have also donated hardware to a few key people, myself
 > > included. I'm sure Axel can share more details on why you're way off
 > > base with the statement that Hauppauge has never helped with any of
 > > the driver development for their cards.
 >
 > Well, Marcus seems to have stopped doing v4l developement on Hauppauge
 > cards shortly before the millenium, so his statement may have been
 > true around that time. Nevertheless it is dangerous to come up with
 > statements that may since have been reverted. 5 years is a long time
 > in the IT business. In 5 years from now Office will be running on
 > Microsoft Linux NG.

That's because Marcus and I moved on to DVB shortly before the
millennium and the lacking support by Hauppauge and others continued
in this area. Neither Hauppauge nor the actual manufacturer of the
DVB cards Technotrend released any information. Drivers for the Nexus,
the SAA7146 based Nova cards and the USB adapters had to be written
without their support (but with some substantial help by Siemens for
the Nexus cards) and less than 5 years ago. Support by Hauppauge is
VERY recent only (maybe 1 year compared to 10 years before that).

Ralph

| Dr. Ralph J.K. Metzler    | Metzler Brothers Systementwicklung GbR |
| rjkm at metzlerbros.de       | http://www.metzlerbros.de/             |